A vibrant new space
The space between The Station's former bus depot and Market Street Lawn is being transformed into exciting new public domain.
The temporary lawn and pathway between The Station and Market Street Lawn will soon be replaced with sculpted garden beds, shady trees, seating, new paving and picnic space. The result will be an attractive and inviting continuous link between two of Newcastle’s premier public spaces.
A new public plaza will replace the former bus depot, creating a versatile community event space that connects The Station with the waterfront. Interpretive features will tell the stories of the site’s Aboriginal and European history.
The works managed by Hunter and Central Coast Development Corporation (HCCDC) commenced in March 2020 and will continue throughout the year.
- The entire work-site is fenced off, and the temporary car park adjacent to The Station on Wharf Road is also closed.
- Access to The Station shops will not be affected by the works.
Getting to The Station is easy with the Light Rail, Ferry and lots of CBD parking nearby.
- Over 1400 car parks within a 12-minute walk, plus more CBD parking along the light rail route!
- Two Light Rail stops within 3-minutes walk.
- Stockton Ferry within a 5-minutes walk.